It’s winter in Australia, which means that plenty of people are heading overseas to catch some European sun. For many, making healthy choices on long flights can be near impossible, but with some preparation and planning, you can create your own in-flight health retreat. Here are some of the tried-and-tested tips that I’ve picked up through years of travelling.
MY HEALTHY TRAVEL TIPS
1. Choose your meal wisely: If the airline is offering a healthy meal consisting of protein and vegetables then I’ll enjoy it, but if the options are limited I’ll stick to my prepared snacks and enjoy a delicious meal when I land.
2. Avoid heavy, creamy dishes: These types of foods – think creamed potatoes and gravy-based meals – are often high in sugar and salt.
3. Avoid the sweets and desserts: Plane desserts are often high in sugar, which isn’t ideal for a long flight. I like to pack a few squares of dark chocolate and some healthy sweet treats to enjoy.
4. Stay hydrated: Drink two litres of water with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
5. Avoid alcohol: Don’t drink alcohol on the plane and avoid it for the first few days of your holiday
6. Try stretching: This helps to lengthen your muscles, avoid cramping and helps your blood flow.
7. Practise deep belly breathing: This is a must when travelling as it helps to calm the sympathetic nervous system and stimulates relaxation.
8. Avoiding packaged foods: especially refined sugar options
9. Supplement: I recommend taking vitamin C, magnesium and B complex vitamins on the plane to keep my energy good and immune system strong. I recommend taking melatonin and magnesium under the guidance of a medical professional. I find that they help me fall asleep and adjust to new time zones.
10. Enjoy one coffee: As per my one-coffee-a-day rule, I recommend limiting your caffeine intake to one coffee.
11. Keep yourself busy: I love reading and listening to podcasts or music. I find that people tend to over-eat when they’re bored, so ensure you’re stimulated.
12. Pack healthy snacks: These are some of my favourite snacks to pack for a long plane ride:
- Raw almonds
- Pumpkin seeds and goji berries
- Green apples
- Dark chocolate
- Carrot sticks with hummus
- Kale chips
- Homemade muesli slice
- Healthy protein bar
For more health, diet and lifestyle tips, check out my 8-week Program.
Original Content Source