It’s that time of year when the ovens are baking, the eggnog is flowing, and the smell of sugar cookies fill the air. It is a time for family and celebration, but also a time to indulge in some of your seasonal favorites.
Maintaining a balanced diet during the holidays can sometimes feel impossible, but it doesn’t have to be. The following five tips can help keep you on track this season.
- It’s not just about the food. Don’t make food the center of your attention, focus, or obsession. Instead, focus on what the season truly is about: spending time with your loved ones, caring for others, showing and expressing gratitude, and being mindful of your actions. Continue living your “normal” life and routine (i.e. you wouldn’t normally overindulge in pies, cookies, or cakes on a daily or weekly basis. Why start now?)
- Drink water! With running errands, cooking, traveling, it’s easy for our bodies to get dehydrated. Drink water throughout the day – and even better, drink a glass of water in between each meal.
- Most of us get worked up and stressed preparing for parties or company staying for the week, it can become overwhelming for some – so relax! Also, there’s no need to feel guilty about indulging in foods for one evening, as long as you’re back on track first thing in the morning.
- Don’t forget about the veggies. The powers of vegetables is undeniable during any time of year, but especially around the holiday season when you’re eating more dense foods. Veggies are a great way to create volume in a dish to make you feel like you’re eating a lot more than you actually are. They’re full of water, fiber, nutrients galore, and taste amazing when prepared in a way you love.
- Enjoy the little moments. Give yourself daily reminders and mantras to be present, live in the moment, connect with others, and don’t allow thoughts of “what if’s,” the “to-do” list, and other distractions interfere with daily living. The more you concentrate on being present, the more you’re able to enjoy spending time with family and friends, enjoy the spirit of the holiday season, engage in fun activities, and leave the overindulging off the plate.
Shell Point Retirement Community offers an array of resort-style dining options across its six onsite restaurants. Each dining venue brings varied options to the table, from gourmet to casual dining. All restaurants are open to the public.
Original Content Source