Discover how to cook black rice (once called “Forbidden Rice) & amazing Black Rice health benefits.
Learn how to make Payasam (Kheer) using this unpolished rice. You could make it a Vishu Sadya Special Recipe also!
This is Black Rice Dessert Recipe is called payasam (a popular dessert in South india) and is without refined, white sugar (replaced with raw cane sugar or jaggery). It is a rice kheer recipe with Jaggery.
Wondering what Is Forbidden Rice? What is Black rice?
Black rice is called Forbidden Rice as it was available only for the Royal families in China!
Black rice contains Anthocyanin pigment, which gives it its dark colour. Kavuni Arisi is a variety of black Rice grown in Tamilnadu.
Black rice is an Antioxidant food. It is sticky when cooked, and is particularly suitable as a rice kheer recipe with jaggery. The glutenous nature of black rice is NOT WHEAT GLUTEN. So, rice is actually GLUTEN FREE!
Discover the AMAZING DIVERSITY OF RICE that existed in India. Although diminished, it continues even today, and needs to be promoted and protected …
There are umpteen BLACK RICE HEALTH BENEFITS .
• Black rice is one of the weight loss natural food.
• Black rice is rich in fibre, vitamins & minerals like Iron, calcium, & Phosphorous, & also has a low Glycemic index
• Black rice for diabetics & Black rice for Weight loss is a very popular use!
• Is Black rice good for cancer patients?
• Black rice is one of the best foods to fight cancer
This is one of the easy dessert recipes with few ingredients!
Ingredients for Black Rice Payasam:
1. Black Rice( Kavuni Arisi)—- 1 cup
2. Jaggery or Raw Cane sugar— 1 to 1.5 cup
3. Grated Fresh coconut— ½ to 1 cup
4. Dry fruits & Nuts —Cashew/ Almond/ Raisins
5. Ghee/ Clarified butter—3 Tablespoons
PAPERS (Related to benefits of Black Rice)
1. TRADITIONAL PADDY VARIETIES, CULTIVATION AND PRODUCTION
2. Exploring the therapeutic potential and nutritional properties of ‘karuppu kavuni’ variety rice of Tamil nadu
3. NUTRITIONAL AND THERAPEUTIC PROPERTIES OF INDIGENOUS PADDY VARIETIES (IPVs)
4. The miracle rice “Karuppu Kavuni Arisi”, Black Kavuni Rice.
5. BLACK RICE- OUR DELICIOUS, HEALTHY HERITAGE
6. Anthocyanidins and anthocyanins: colored pigments as food, pharmaceutical ingredients, and the potential health benefits
I would recommend that you should consider use of organic ingredients from the point of view of health and well-being of yourself and your family. If you choose to use organic ingredients, you could consider sourcing it from Bio Basics at the link given below:
Watchout for an exciting new video release every Saturday at 8 AM
Munch & Mull is a platform to share various aspects of our food, health & environment through the medium of vegetarian recipes. So our focus is “The Mull Point”. Check us out here…
Have you subscribed to Munch & Mull? If not, click the link below:
And do watch these playlists:
1. The Magic of Millet Recipes –
2. Easy Recipes –
3. Variety Rice with Rice Varieties –
4. Green Family, Green Festivals –
Do write back to me with your suggestions for improvement of this channel and any questions or feedback at email@example.com