Chole Rajma Curry
Chole Rajma Curry is a healthy and delicious main course meal. This is a popular north Indian cuisine which consists of boiled beans cooked with spicy tomato gravy. It goes well with roti, naan or rice.
- 1 cup chick peas, (chole, kabuli chana, garbanzo beans, )
- 1/2 cup kidney beans (rajma)
- 2 cup diced tomatoes (about I used 3 Tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 Tbsp chopped green chili
- 3 Tbsp oil (prefer canola or vegetable )
- 1/4 tsp asafetida (hing)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 Tbsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Wash and soak chick peas and kidney beans in about six cups of water for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight (the beans will double in volume).
- Cook the chick peas and kidney beans in pressure cooker with 3 cups of water. Close the cooker and put the pressure on.
- Cook on medium high heat.
- As pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Close the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker. Beans should be soft and tender.
- Cut the tomatoes and green chili in small pieces, and blend tomatoes, green chili, and ginger to make a pure.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan, test the heat by adding one cumin seed. If the seed cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add asafetida and cumin seeds, as the cumin seeds crack add tomato paste, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, and black pepper.
- Stir-fry for two to three minutes, until the oil begins to separate from the mixture. Add beans, salt, and more water as needed. Cover the pan and cook over medium high heat, for about 10 minutes.
Turn off the heat. Chole Rajma Curry is ready to serve.
Serve hot, with rice, or your choice of bread.
Original Content Source