For the 21 Day Detox diet Dr. Colbert recommends avoiding nightshade vegetables completely.
Nightshades are part of the Solanaceae family of plants which are known to contain many anti-nutrient alkaloids and lectins which can be irritating to the digestive system and cause leaky gut and auto-immunity in susceptible individuals.
This is because the anti-nutrients are intended to protect the plant from predators. Healthy people with robust digestion and healthy immune systems can handle small amounts of these compounds, but even for them these foods can be taxing to the body. to allow the immune system to calm down and the digestive system to repair.
Nightshades include potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant.
This means no potatoes while on the diet.
However, if you would still like the creamy deliciousness of mashed potatoes without the potential harm associated with nightshades, then this recipe is for you!
1 head organic cauliflower
4 tablespoons grass-fed butter (ghee if doing detox)
2-3 cloves organic garlic, minced
1 medium-sized organic leek, chopped
1/2 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
1/4 cup of blanched almonds, chopped
sea salt to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Cut the head of cauliflower in half and remove the stem.
- Chop the cauliflower into small pieces and add to a steamer basket in the pot.
- Steam cauliflower for 15-20 minutes, or until soft.
- In the meantime, mince the garlic and chop the leek.
- Add cauliflower from the pot to a food processor.
- Process for a few seconds then add butter, chopped leek, turmeric, garlic, and a pinch of sea salt.
- Process until ingredients are well combined.
- Spoon a heaping serving in to a bowl and top with blanched almonds.
How did your cauliflower mash turn put? Let us know in the comments below!
For more delicious detox recipes and expert guidance navigating your detox experience, join Dr. Colbert’s 21-Day Detox for FREE today!
Original Content Source