When the time comes to consider senior living for your parent or loved one, it’s natural to feel overwhelmed with where to begin. With so many options available, it’s important to stay informed in order to make the decision that best meets your family’s desires and needs.
While researching your senior living options on the Internet, over the phone, or in person, these questions may help you to determine whether it’s the right fit for you:
- How are care levels determined?
- How is each resident’s service plan developed? Are the services customized to address residents’ physical, emotional, and spiritual needs?
- How does the community meet residents’ needs as they change over time?
- How are loved ones updated when residents experience changes, physical or otherwise?
- If the need for services not offered by a particular community arises, how is that need addressed?
- How are team members trained, both initially and on an ongoing basis?
- What dining options are available? How does the community meet residents’ nutritional needs and preferences?
- Is there an appealing range of activities that catch your interest, both within and outside of the community?
- During your initial visits, do team members engage warmly with you and those accompanying you?
- Do the community’s current residents seem to be well cared for? Are they engaged in conversations and participating in activities?
- Are there any restrictions on visitors, and does the community make it easy for residents to host family and friends? Does the environment feel comfortable—does it feel like a true home?
Make sure that everyone is involved in the decision-making process—including and especially the prospective resident themselves. The best way to see if a community feels like home is to visit in person. Remember, you’re not just shopping, you’re choosing a home for your loved one.
If you think it may be time for your family to consider senior living, Sunrise is here to help. Visit our Where to Begin page for tips on discovering what care you may need, having important conversations, evaluating financial options, and more.
We also invite you to call us anytime at 888-434-4648 with your questions about senior living. We’re happy provide a listening ear and helpful advice.
Original Content Source