Vegan Mac and Cheese, Quick and Easy
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese is made with dairy free cheese. This quick, easy recipe is creamy and delicious. Mac and cheese has always been a comfort food in my family. My son is on a dairy free diet and one day while craving for Mac and Cheese, asked about making vegan cheese. I experimented with many recipes and finally my son was happy with the result. To my surprise my grand-kids also enjoyed this vegan mac and cheese. This was a surprise success at my house.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 cup small florets of broccoli (optional)
For Vegan Cheese
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup Yukon gold potatoes (cubed) (they have thin and smooth skin, I have already peeled and cubed)
- 1/2 cup carrots (sliced)
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Boil the macaroni according to the instruction over the box. Set aside.
- In boiling water soak the broccoli for few minutes and drain the water, set aside.
- Soak the cashews for about half hour and set aside.
- Wash and peel both potatoes and carrots, and chop into uniform pieces and boil with 2 cups of water for about 8 minutes, till they are soft. Take them out from water.
- Add all the ingredients for cheese into a blender with one cup of water and blend until smooth, use more water as needed. I used about 2 cups of water.
- Pour into a pot on the stove and heat to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Once it starts to thicken, remove from the heat and stir again and it should thicken up a bit more. If it’s too thick, add more water. Cheese should be pourable consistency. It should only take a couple of minutes to thicken up on the stove.
- For serving toss the broccoli and pasta together, pour the cheese over, serve hot.
Original Content Source