1 Which of the following plant compounds has recently been found to inhibit formation of amyloid beta plaque in the brain — associated with Alzheimer’s disease — and to dissolve arterial plaque associated with heart disease?
- Vitamin C
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG)
Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), an antioxidant found in green tea, has been shown to dissolve arterial plaque and inhibit amyloid beta plaque formation in the brain, thereby lowering your risk for heart disease and Alzheimer’s. Learn more.
2 Which of the following companies now controls about one-quarter of the global seed and agricultural chemical markets?
As the world’s now largest seed and pesticide company following its merger with Monsanto, Bayer will have a direct impact on a majority of farmers in the U.S., EU and Great Britain. Learn more.
3 Which of the following statements is true?
- Chemotherapy is recommended for all breast cancer patients
- Recent research reveals chemotherapy is unnecessary for all breast cancer cases
- Recent research suggests genetic testing is an ineffective way to predict who might benefit from chemotherapy and other cancer treatments
- Genetic testing can reveal whether a breast cancer patient might benefit from chemo by measuring the activity of 21 genes involved in cancer recurrence
The Oncotype DX test can help determine whether a breast cancer patient might benefit from chemo by measuring the activity of 21 genes involved in cancer recurrence. An estimated 70 percent of women with early stage breast cancer probably do not need chemotherapy. Learn more.
4 Along with drug overdoses and Alzheimer’s disease, which of the following leading causes of death is most rapidly rising?
In 2016, nearly 45,000 Americans committed suicide, making suicide the 10th most common cause of death that year; along with drug overdoses and Alzheimer’s disease, suicide is one of three leading causes of death that are on the rise. Learn more.
- Accidental deaths
- Heart disease
5 Astragalus root has a long history of use in Traditional Chinese Medicine, and is valued for its properties as an adaptogen. Adaptogenic herbs help your body:
- Adapt to stress
Adaptogenic herbs such as astragalus root help your body adapt to physical, emotional or mental stress. Its immune boosting, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties also lowers your risk for infections and other diseases. Learn more.
- Adapt to cold weather
- Lower its immune function
- Increase libido
6 In India, thousands of farmers are committing suicide each year; a trend blamed on:
- Changing weather conditions, primarily droughts, causing crop failures
- Debt incurred by buying Monsanto genetically engineered seeds, which do not grow well and lead to poor yields
Each year, thousands of farmers in India commit suicide, spurred by debt caused by the failure of Monsanto’s Bt cotton. Learn more.
- Inhumane labor conditions
- Health and psychological problems attributed to pesticide exposure
7 Which of the following has a centuries long history of traditional use as an opium substitute to wean off opium, and may be helpful in the treatment of opioid addiction?
Kratom has been used as a traditional medicine in Thailand and Malaysia for centuries, primarily to boost energy. It also has a long history of use as an opium substitute and to wean off opium. Learn more.