1 Which of the following combinations is likely to provide the greatest improvements in overall health, based on the evidence?
- Intermittent fasting in combination with cyclical ketogenic diet
Recent research highlights the importance of combining intermittent fasting with cyclical ketosis. While the participants lost weight on an intermittent fasting schedule, by not implementing a cyclical ketogenic diet, important disease parameters remained unimproved. Learn more.
- Water-only fasting cycled with a high-carb diet
- Intermittent fasting without restrictions on what or how much is eaten during prescribed eating hours
- Intermittent fasting in combination with a high-protein diet
2 An estimated 4,000 individuals have filed lawsuits against Monsanto, claiming Roundup caused which of the following diseases?
- Bone cancer
- Breast cancer
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
Thousands of Americans have filed lawsuits against Monsanto, claiming Roundup caused their Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. The first to get his day in court is Dewayne Johnson, who used Roundup extensively in his work as a groundskeeper and was diagnosed with a type of Non-Hodkin lymphoma called mycosis fungoides in 2014. Learn more.
3 Which of the following nutrients has been shown to lower your risk of cancer and heart disease in addition to protecting pregnant women from miscarriage and premature birth?
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
A vitamin D level above 60 ng/mL lowers your breast cancer risk by more than 80 percent, and a level of 40 ng/mL lowers the risk of premature birth by 60 percent. Learn more.
- Vitamin E
4 Which pair of dietary minerals have been shown to affect slow-wave deep sleep and REM sleep (dream cycle) respectively?
- Phosphorous and sulfur
- Sodium and magnesium
- Potassium and calcium
The gene that controls the influx of potassium into cells also helps regulate sleep, and without potassium, your brain cannot produce the slow waves associated with deep sleep. Similarly, calcium deficiency has been shown to disrupt the rapid eye movement or REM cycle. Learn more.
- Zinc and selenium
5 This hardy, daisy-like herb has long been embraced as a soothing tea that acts as a natural sedative.
- Lemon balm
In addition to acting as a natural sedative, chamomile boasts antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds, as well as antibacterial, antifungal, antispasmodic, antiulcer and antiviral properties. Learn more.
- Matcha Green tea
6 The earliest written references to the use of cannabis for medical purposes are found in what country?
The earliest written references to cannabis are found in the Chinese Materia Medica, written by Shen Nung around 2800 B.C. Nung documented 100 conditions that responded well to cannabis, including gout and rheumatism. Learn more.
7 Which of the following statements is true?
- It’s important to maintain nutritional ketosis long-term in order to optimize carbohydrate metabolism
- Nutrient cycling — where you cycle between higher and lower amounts of fat, net carbs and protein — is inadvisable as it will confuse your metabolism
- Cycling between high and low calorie intakes (fasting and feasting) is not recommended as it can result in unwanted weight gain
- If you’re on a ketogenic diet, it’s important to cycle high and low amounts of net carbs once your body is able to efficiently burn fat for fuel in order to optimize your metabolism
If you’re on a ketogenic diet, it’s important to cycle high and low amounts of net carbs once your body is able to efficiently burn fat for fuel in order to optimize your metabolism. Cyclical fasting is also recommended. Learn more.